O darkest woe!
Ye tears, forth flow!
Has earth so sad a wonder,
That the Father’s only Son
Now is buried yonder!
O Ground of faith,
Laid low in death!
Sweet lips, now silent sleeping:
Surely all that live must mourn
Here with bitter weeping.
- Würzburg Gesangbuch, “O Darkest Woe, Ye Tears Forth Flow”
In this final post of our series, “The Death of Jesus,” we will explore several aspects of the post-crucifixion burial. Some have claimed that the story we have in Scripture is not credible, and therefore the entire Passion account is untrustworthy. In response to these claims, we will organize our presentation around five questions:
1. What is the New Testament account of the burial of Jesus?
2. Were the victims of crucifixion really buried?
3. Was Joseph of Arimathea a fictional character?
4. Were there really guards present at the tomb of Jesus?
5. What does the archaeological record tell us about 1st-century tombs? Continue Reading…